Wednesday 13 January 2010

Childhood Nostalgia: Saying Goodbye

Lorraine's mum left for US last night.  I jokingly asked her and her brother during dinner if they cried.  They said, "Of course" with smile on their faces.  They said that they were holding back until their mum started to cry.  It was 4 years since her mum moved to America and it was 4 years after 'til their little family were re-united.

My mum started working in abroad when I was 10 years old.  Working abroad for middle class filipinos are normal.  You don't get to earn enough money in the Philippines and so you make the hard decision of leaving your family behind for greener pasture.  It was hard but we were loved and taken care of by my relatives(especially by my granny and her sister).  Twice a year, my mum would come home for a week on Holy Week and at least 2 weeks for Christmas holiday.   Every year, we would cry on our way home to Cabanatuan ,where I spent most of my childhood years.  You get used to the situation.  You would never question why they have to leave. Although my mum is always away, she would call us weekly and send us cards on our birthdays. 


Photo taken in Singapore.  This was our first out of the country trip together.  Most filipinos don't take time off from work and most holidays are spent with families - chatting and catching up.  My dad was working in Singapore then so he showed us around.  It was a fun filled trip.


Malaysia with my parents.  My brother asked us to do the boring tourist pose.  My parents would always participate with our foolishness.  I inherited the Peter Pan Syndrome from them.

 HK last Christmas.  My dad was very tired but my mum is always ready to smile for photos.

My parents missed a lot when we were growing up so I promised myself that I won't do that to my future kids.  I want my family to be all together.  I don't blame my parents.  Without their sacrifices, we won't be able to experience all the luxury that they have given us.  In life, there is always trade off.  I love my parents and hopefully in the future, I will be able to give back to them. 

0 comments:

DISCLAIMER

ALL PHOTOS ARE OWNED BY ME UNLESS CREDITED. PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF YOU ARE GONNA USE ANY OF MY PHOTOS. THANKS!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

nuffnang

 

Template by Best Web Hosting